Making the move to a smaller home means some downsizing is in order and calling denver co moving services for the actual move.The tips below will help you decide what’s worth making room for in your new home.
Tip #1 – Have the measurements of the new home handy. This will help you figure out how much of your stuff will actually fit in the new, smaller space.
Tip #2 – Measure your furniture to make sure it will fit. You don’t want to move in only to find that your couch or bedroom suite is actually too big for the room.
Tip #3 – Enlist the help of a friend or company like the best local denver moving to make downsizing decisions. You likely have an emotional connection to many of your things. That connection makes it hard to decide which items should be moved and which should be left behind. A friend will help you keep focused on what’s most practical. To make it easier on yourself ask the following questions when evaluating whether to keep an item:
- Have I used this in the last 6 months?
- Will I use this in my new home?
- Is this in good working condition? If not, how much would it cost to fix?
- Is this an irreplaceable item with sentimental value?
- Do I own something else that can serve the same purpose?
Tip #4 – Decide where your things will go. There are a number of options: storage, garage sale, charities or friends and family. Deciding where things will go should make it easier to prioritize what should be downsized.
- Consider giving items that have sentimental value to people you know.
- For items that have no real value and are taking up space a dumpster rental service could be a perfect choice.
- Items that you’re likely to get a good return on, like electronics, are good candidates for selling.
- Consider putting items that are expensive to replace, such as furniture, in a storage unit until you figure out whether or not you’ll be keeping them for the long-term.
Tip#5 – Consider organization strategies to maximize space. You may have less square footage, but it’s how you use it that really counts. Closet organizers, shelving, space bags are all ways to fit more in a smaller space.
Tip #6 – Give yourself a breather every now and then. Some people find downsizing to be therapeutic while others find it emotionally overwhelming. Regardless, allow yourself time to step back and take a break.
Along the way keep in mind that with a smaller home comes advantages that can be far better than being able to house more stuff. Your maintenance and utilities will cost less, you’ll be better positioned for family bonding and the smaller space may have come with a better location. Keeping your focus on the positives will make downsizing seem less daunting.